An exhibition about some the soldiers of WW1 including Sheffield Pals commemorated in the cemetery. They are remembered on the war memorial or family gravestones and some are buried.
It is also a chance to see inside one of the chapels and take a stroll in Sheffield’s first municipal cemetery, which is a “green lung” tucked away in Pitsmoor.
The chapels were designed by Flockton and Son and is a listed building. The cemetery was opened in 1861 by the Brightside Brierlow, an administrative district, as a municipal cemetery. The City of Sheffield took charge of it in 1900 and expanded it all the way to Scott Rd. Burngreave Road linking the old routes of Grimesthorpe Rd and Pitsmoor Rd had been built in the 1830s and the name Burngreave was adopted for the administrative district and now the Council ward. Byron’s Greave was the ancient name for the wood that was cleared to make way for the cemetery.
Catch one of the many buses up Burngreave Rd and get off opposite St Catherine’s on the corner of Melrose Rd and Burngreave Rd.
If you come by car then head for the Melrose Rd entrance. There is parking inside by the chapels and on Melrose Rd.
This is in conjunction with a guided walk on Sunday 10th Sep to visit some of the sites in the cemetery that commemorate WW1 soldiers including some of the Sheffield Pals and learn the story of war graves.
Guided Walk: Sun 13.00 Booking not required (max 50 per tour)